Calcium. Who needs it? We all do.
Calcium is one of the most vital and important minerals in our body, yet it has been estimated that 90 percent of New Zealand women at some time do not meet their recommended daily calcium intake.
The mineral is critically important for healthy bones and teeth—as well as proper heart functioning.
Did You Know?
- Our bones increase in strength and density from childhood, through puberty until our mid 20s.
- Bone mass increases by about 10 times through puberty and adolescence, and then remains stable until about age 50 in men and until menopause in women. This means the amount of calcium we need varies considerably at different stages of our lives.
Although we may imagine our bones are permanent, they are actually being constantly eroded throughout our life and replaced with new bone tissue. If we do not have enough calcium and minerals in our diet, our body absorbs the necessary calcium it needs straight out of our bones. This can result in low bone density and weakness, especially in later life.
You may need more calcium if you:
- Are a woman – especially over 35 years old;
- Are on a dairy-free diet or have an allergy to dairy foods;
- Consume a lot of coffee, tea or salt in your diet;
- Smoke or drink alcohol daily;
- Are pregnant or breastfeeding;
- Are elderly;
- Have growing children or teens and want to increase their calcium intake.
There are various food sources of calcium. Milk and dairy foods are among the most easily accessible sources of calcium—a 250ml glass of milk contains about 300mg calcium. Other food sources of calcium are sardines, prawns, nuts, tofu and certain vegetables (eg, broccoli, cabbage and bok choy). An adequate calcium intake for most people is around 1000mg per day.
Lifestream Natural Calcium
Lifestream Natural Calcium is a breakthrough in calcium supplements unlike any other common source. It comes from a natural sea-vegetable called Lithothamnium calcareum that is found in the pure, pristine waters off the coast of Iceland. It is certified organic and provides an incredible 33% of elemental calcium and also contains many naturally occurring mineral co-factors including magnesium, boron and zinc in a perfect ‘nature-made’ blend. It is also readily absorbed due to its natural porous structure; is completely plant-derived and suitable for people of all ages, vegans and vegetarians.
Lifestream CC Flax
Lifestream CC Flax, is a blend of three premium certified organic superfoods to help provide for the health and nutritional requirements of women. It combines Lifestream’s Natural Calcium with cranberry seed powder and flaxseed powder, Providing, Omega 3 fatty acids, fibre, phytonutrients and antioxidants.
Lifestream offers a range of wholefood and superfood supplements that can support a healthy digestion. To find out more, visit www.lifestream.co.nz