We all love to snack but the products we snack on are not always healthy! Try this simple but extremely tasty Tamari Roasted Seed Snack recipe. Instead of reaching for the chocolate, chips and biscuits you can satisfy your cravings with this moreish but nutritious snack anytime of the day or night.
Recipe created by: Karin Spicer, Lifestream Naturopath N.D
Time to prepare: 5 minutes
Time to cook: 1 hour
500g Raw (natural, unroasted) sunflower seeds
500g Raw (natural, unroasted) pumpkin seeds
4 Tbspn Raw sesame seeds
100ml Tamari sauce (or Soya sauce)
4 tspn Lifestream Natural B Complex
½ tspn Ground ginger
2 tspn Ground coriander seeds
2 tspn Powdered kelp
- Preheat oven to 150 C (not higher).
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl until all the seeds are coated and look wet.
- Place ingredients in a roasting dish, spreading the mixture out evenly.
- Roast for approximately an hour till the seeds are golden brown and dry. You will need to stir the seeds at 10 minute intervals or they will clump together and the top ones will burn.
- Once the seeds snap in half they are ready. Let them cool before putting in an airtight container with a paper towel pushed down on top of the seeds so there is no air. They last about 10 days this way. I have a friend who adds chilli to this mix to spice things up.
Top tips: A handful in a container makes a good lunch box snack for all ages. I also sprinkle on the top of soups or mashed vegetables, just as I am serving, for taste and texture.